Do you want to turn your old breakfast table tray into an all-purpose artsy tray that will inspire and motivate you? If you do, then roll up your sleeves and I’ll show you how to create yet another awesome and easy chalkboard art project for your home! You just need an old cafeteria-style tray, liquid chalk markers and some chalkboard vinyl sheets or chalkboard contact papers.
4 Simple Steps to Create Your DIY Chalkboard Tray
Things You Will Need:
- Breakfast table tray or any cafeteria-style tray you prefer
- Medium-coarse Sandpaper
- Fine Grade Sandpaper
- Chalkboard Vinyl Sheets or Chalkboard Contact Paper
- Liquid Chalk Markers
1. If you have a wooden table tray with paint chipping off or you don’t like its color, the perfect stuff to remove the existing paint is medium-coarse sandpaper. Paint will flake off easily as you sand the tray's surface, so make sure you are working in a room where you don't mind having to do some cleanup! Use fine grade sandpaper to smooth out the surface after all the paint has been removed.
If your tray is made of acrylic or plastic, there is no need to sand it. You can just clean the surface with a wet cloth and wipe it dry.
2. Cut your vinyl sheets or chalkboard contact paper to the size of your tray. Make sure all of the edges are smooth.
3. Cover the upper surface of the tray with your chalkboard sheet. You can easily remove and reposition the chalkboard sheet if it ends up a little cattywampus on your first try.
4. After the assembly work is done, you are all set to turn your creativity loose! You can now craft designs, write inspiring messages and add whatever else you can dream up to your newly refurbished, all-purpose and cost-effective DIY chalkboard tray.
Endless Ideas to Use Your Chalkboard Table Tray
Over time, you will dream up one use after another for your DIY chalkboard tray. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
Mini Office Table
You can use the as a laptop table and a notepad all in one. Keep liquid chalk markers handy, and you can scribble reminders or other notes right on your tray without having to scrounge around for paper! Who needs sticky notes when you have this awesome tray?
Sweet Breakfast Table Tray
Who wouldn’t want to wake up to the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and a hot bagel in the morning? How about a loving message to go with it? That combination will definitely brighten even the dreariest day! With a chalkboard table tray, you can serve breakfast with sweet nothings on the side. You can offer a message that is simple and sweet, like “Have a Great Day” or “You are the Best." Add a drawing of a flower or two, and this artistic breakfast spread will surely put a smile on your loved one's face as they get out of bed to face the day.
Portable Art Table
Let your kids play with and enjoy the family's new chalkboard tray tables, too. Just hand them a tray and a box of liquid chalk markers and let them create their own masterpieces, anywhere, anytime.
Chalkboard trays are simply amazing—fun, quirky and useful all at the same time. They are easy to make and don’t cost a lot. You can use them in hundreds of ways and it will definitely add fun and excitement to your home. So go ahead, make your own DIY chalkboard tray today and let your ideas flow.
What designs do you have in mind for your DIY chalkboard tray? Share with us in the comments below!